Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Welcome Home, Coneflower

Thought you might like to know what I did with all of that coneflower I had. Far be it from me to keep you in suspense and all. (If you haven't been following along, I had a little bit of a coneflower residency issue.)

In our backyard, we have this old clothes line. We never use it and had considered ripping it out. But, I like the charm it brings to our yard, especially considering our house was built in the 40s. My grand plan last year was to plant lots of Russian sage around it, and let it grow all bushy and wild. I bought the sage last year and ended up just throwing it in a vacant spot because it was getting late in the season, and the clothesline bed never happened. Sadly, their current locale is not very hospitable (see pics below).

But, the coneflower needed a home (couldn't let those beauties go to waste!), at least for the time being. And, since the sage was already in the ground, the coneflower won the newly renovated clothesline bed. I figure I can still move everything around later.

A lot of my flowers eventually take up residence in another flower's previous home. Nothing seems to stay in one spot for long. Sometimes I feel like this whole gardening thing is the plant version of TLC's Moving Up. What about your gardens? Are your flowers nomads or do they take up long-term residence in your beds?

My new coneflower bed, close up and a better shot with the clothesline. They seem much happier in the ground. Something I like to do in my gardens is create repetition by using multiple colors of one type of flower. I have also done this with day lilies. In fact, I love the combination so much, I plan on dividing and continuing the pattern all the way around the deck.
P.S. Russian sage should look like this!
Mine looks like this, barely a few inches tall. I think the spot is too shady and too moist.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...