Monday, July 5, 2010

Master Gardener Tour Wrap Up

I'm a little behind, but didn't want to forget about my stint 2 Saturdays ago, touring the yards of Master Gardeners, thanks to the Michigan State University/Kent County Extension.

This year's tour featured about 7 different homes, mostly on the north side, near Rockford, Belmont and Cedar Springs--large homes with even larger yards, and an abundance of space to prep, grow and maintain. My two favorites both featured garden sheds and benches, providing perfect little places for potting, storage, organization and reprieve from the sun.

I find that the pictures I take each year, really don't do the gardens much justice. Some are so vast and filled to the brim with blooming perennials and annuals, it's definitely best to experience the juxtaposition of plants for yourself. I saw several brilliant combinations that I would have never thought to place together.

I'd like to say that I learned a lot, but the tour was really just about witnessing what others have built over 5, 10, 15+ years. If anything, it validated that garden maintenance is a constant job. If you want your gardens
to continue to look fresh, unspoiled and tidy, your work is never really done. This includes weeding, pest control and dividing perennials. It was also refreshing to know that even masters continue to face the same issues as us amateurs.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...